Friday, December 1, 2006

Our "Finding" Day


Today is a day that most adoptive parents do not celebrate. The day their child was found. On a cold Dec. 1, 2003, early in the morning our little one was found on a park bench outside of a school. She was dressed in a red silk gown trimmed in black feathers. We were told it was a festival costume of some importance. There was no note. We have the name of the person who found her, but who was it? Her father, grandfather, uncle or truly an angel sent to protect my child. They estimated her age to be 4 days old. This past week many things have been on my mind. Does her mother remember her birthday, did the officials get it right? Why was she given up? Was she the 2nd child, was it because she was a girl? Was her mother pressured into giving her up or was it her idea? All during the adoption and up until now, these are questions I did not want to think about. In my mind she has always been MINE. She came into being when we started the adoption papers. If you calculate the time we did the paper work, waited for the referral and flew over to get her, the timing is perfect. Nine months with her mother and 7 months waiting for me to come pick her up. HE most definitely had her planned for us. We never had any problems with our paperwork, other than the drudgery of doing the paperwork. Our wait was during the shortest wait time ever, 6 mo. To top it off she is the youngest referral we have ever heard of, 5 mo. old at the time of referral. The day we landed in the U.S. she had her 8mo. birthday.

On her birthday I prayed for her mother, something I don't thing I really did in the past. I thanked her for my child, for putting her in Gods hands to send to me. I prayed for the person who found her. Thanking him for being at the right place and time. I know someday she will want to know about her mother and how she came to be with us. We will someday take her back to China to visit her homeland. If she wants to find her, we will try. She was her birth mother, but I am Mommy, Mom, and Mother.

3 comments:

PandaMom said...

I am soooo proud of you for taking the time to blog! It really does become addicting. I think MamaDarling is hooked for sure and SpicyMom and can't wait to get new pics on our blogs. LOVE IT! See you Monday at 9:30!

Mama Darling said...

You're right. We celebrate DD's b-day and Gotcha Day, but not really her Finding Day which is a very significant day. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. We,too, are thankful for your little Cheerleader. She's a hoot! It has been so much fun just watching her little personality develop.

Mommy Spice said...

Wow! I never thought of that day. You're right. It's a very significant day. My stepmom is sure that Spicy Girl's grandparents are the ones who "found" her, as it was an older retired couple, as we were told. Who knows?


I Believe I Can Fly
By R. Kelly
BestAudioCodes.com